Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I used to like shopping...

I don't know what happened. It seems that clothing got more expensive even though fabrics became thinner and less durable. I give up trying to find clothes that I like, that are on sale and that fit my body. So I'm going to start sewing more. Honestly, if I could figure out how to adjust pattern pieces to my measurements this sewing thing would be a piece of cake. I'm working on it but in the mean time, done is better than perfect.

This was going to be a dress, it still may become one. I have a few more steps to complete, like adding elastic to the waste and fitting this to my body before it either becomes a shirt or a dress.
The fabric was inexpensive, maybe $2 a yard, and I think this would look good on the cruise with white pants or as a dress. I would add a band of white material at the bottom if I make it into a dress.
Swimsuit update: I'm pretty sure that I am returning it. It is one size too big and I would never have enough time to exchange it before leaving for vacation. I did email Bravissimo and they apologized for the time it took to respond to my fitting advice questions and arranged to refund my shipping too. I did think about making the swimsuit fit because honestly, even with it being too big, it looks better than anything that I have found in the store. I am not nearly confident enough with sewing to alter clothes, especially something that will be covering my unmentionables while swiming.
Matt suggested that I make one, although he very quickly suggested that I go buy another one at the mall.

5 comments:

Chrispea said...

The shirt/dress is looking good! ;) I abhor shopping for swimsuits!! I found a decent one at JCPenny. I like when you can buy separate tops and bottoms. Good luck on the suit search, and have fun on your cruise!! When are you going?

Veronica said...

That would make an adorable shirt! definitely paired with a pair of white cropped pants! Love the pattern. Wish I was confident enough to sew! Horrible Home Ec experience in the 8th grade. Scarred me. Still in therapy!! I digress.

Brenda said...

Wow, that's a great shirt/dress. Love the pattern of the material. Can't wait to see what you decide as far as if it will be a shirt or dress.

Carla Rae said...

I really like that..I wish i could sew, well, I can if you count just going in a straight line sewing, I can do patches and table runners...that's about it....LOL

Amy said...

i'm assuming you're on vacation, but if you get a chance, leave a comment on my blog. i'm hosting my very first giveaway :)