Wednesday, August 19, 2009

So Let's Talk About Disney....

Photobucket
Whether you have been reading awhile or just got started, it's pretty obvious that I'm a tad obsessed with Disney. There are quite a few reasons that I enjoy this magical place and some of them are even related to bringing my son, however I have realized that one of the reasons that we go to Disney is because,

I need it!

To many people that may sound strange but I can assure you that the Disney bug has captured me fair and square. I don't talk a lot about what I do for a living, mostly because I'm too busy talking about scrapbooking, but the type of work that I do lends itself to needing a bit of make believe magic in my life.

That's where Disney comes in.

We planned our first trip because we heard that they had Rice Milk and other crazy things that Colin eats and we were thrilled with the idea of eating out while taking Colin when he was little enough to believe the magic is real.

Then I walked on Main Street and realized that the magic was real!

So for a week I pretend that all is right with the world, we go for ice cream like any other family and I'm reminded that people are nice...even if they are being paid to be nice to you. :-)

So I guess I'm feeling the pressure a little at work since so many people are struggling right now and when an opportunity opened up (work related) to take a bonus trip in a few months, well I jumped on it.

So we will be headed there this October and I'll be honest, it's a bit of a stretch for us since we are planning this so close to when the final payment is due.

So we made a plan and are sticking to it.

1. No extra purchases, period. If it's not in the budget, we're not doing it. So no Starbucks, scrap supplies, clothing, odds and ends for the house, eating out, fancy hair cuts, cosmetics, etc.
2. No extras while on the trip. We are bringing ears, glow sticks, and those fan water bottles from last year.
3. We are eating what's on the free dining meal plan and nothing extra. No dinner shows that take 2 meal credits, no 2 sit down meals in the same day, nothing extra.
4. No...well for just a few dollars more we could... We are staying at Pop Century (A value resort) and while it is tempting to stay at a nicer resort since things are much cheaper right now, we don't need it and are appreciative enough of the opportunity to just see the mouse. We don't really care where we sleep.
5. And most importantly, no credit. This is all cash and whatever we decide to bring for spending money while there is all we will spend, that's it.

So to do this I have to cut some corners and think a little differently. Anybody else interested in a challenge? So I thought it would be fun to post some of the ways our family is saving money and links that I have found to be helpful.

Money Saving Mom
This website has inspired me to spend less money on groceries. I am learning how to "CVS" and remembering how to cut coupons. This woman has a family of 6 and spends $40 a week on groceries. There are just 3 of us here and I spend WAY more than that. I am pleased to report that I saved $40 by using coupons on my last shopping trip.

I wasn't even close to only spending $40 but a girl has to start somewhere :-)

CVS Store Circular
I have been studying these and doing the math to determine how to get "free money" and still only purchase things that I actually need. Last week I earned $11 in "free money."

Okay that was a long post but I will be back soon with a crafty post. I am working on a LO and a mini and should have photos of both soon.

As always thanks for stopping by and if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OH, lucky you!! I LOVE Disney, too... I'm a big kid, what can I say. I waited 40 years to see Disney and it was still magical!

My money saving tip is that I discovered Aldi's supermarket. Totally no frills and they pretty much only have their own brands. I've been willing to try their brands, and have been pleasantly surprised. Their potato chips (only $1.49 a bag!) taste like Lays. The kids are eating Aldi's brand of cereal and not complaining. AND I got strawberries for 99 cents. I even bought an Edward's turtle pie, regularly about $7 in the supermarkets, for $4. So, I splurged and bought one.

So, if you have an Aldi's give it a try.

I'm still looking for your licorice... I don't get out much! LOL!

Amy said...

i'm a mouse lover, too. haven't been there for 15 years, but i can't wait to take my boys someday SOON!! :) we've saved tons of money by shopping at an amish grocery outlet called BB's. we get all our juice and cereal there - it's hit or miss sometimes, but we can get a whole cart full of stuff for about $80. juice sometimes for 75 cents/half gallon. we also have a chest freezer so we order chicken in bulk for as little as $1.79/lb and butter for $1.89/lb. every little bit helps.