Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Milk/Egg Free Pioneer Woman Sheet Cake

I wanted to post a few links and share with you some of the things that I made this year as gifts.

But first let's talk food. :-)
This is the sheet cake recipe and instructions.

While this is a great recipe, Colin wouldn't be able to eat it.
This is my version.

Milk and Egg Free Pioneer Woman Sheet Cake
2 Cups Flour
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
Mix Together

1/2 Cup Buttermilk (I use 1/2 Cup Rice Milk and add 1 Tablespoon Vinegar)
2 Eggs (3 Tablespoons Oil, 3 Tablespoons Water, 2 Teaspoon Baking Powder mixed together in a separate bowl till it fizzes. This is my general replacement for two eggs in any recipe)
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
Mix this together in a separate bowl and then set aside. I just use a large measuring cup that I use for the "buttermilk" and then add everything to that.

2 Sticks Butter (fleishmanns is milk and soy free)
4 Tablespoons Cocoa
1 Cup Boiling Water
Melt Butter, add cocoa then mix. Add boiling water and then let bubble for about a minute.

Mix your flour mixture, buttermilk mixture and cocoa mixture together. Pour into a sheet pan and bake for 18-20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

While this is baking work on your frosting.

1 3/4 Sticks Butter (fleishmann's is milk and soy free)
4 Tablespoons Cocoa
6 Tablespoons Milk (I decreased this to about 3 Tablespoons Rice Milk and then added 3 Tablespoons Water since Rice Milk is really sweet)
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1 Pound Confectioner's Sugar

MIX THIS REALLY WELL! Otherwise you have lumps of sugar.

Unless you like lumps of sugar :-)

As soon as your cake come out of the oven pour frosting over sheet cake and spread.

Once I get the hang of making this I have a feeling this will be my quickest cake and frosting recipe. I can do this in under 30 minutes from start to finish.

Seriously, this is the best little chocolate cake that I have ever made.

If you make this let me know what you think...and as always, if you have any questions let me know that too.

I will do my best to answer them in future posts, by email or in the comment section.

And don't worry, I also made some crafty gifts too that I will be sharing later today or tomorrow. :-)

No comments: